Check out our Newmarket family dentist’s top tips on how to teach your kids good oral health habits.
Prepare For Dental Milestones
Long term oral care requires continuous routine and practice to have children permanently include it in their maintenance. A detailed schedule of important dental appointments for each milestone in your child’s life can help you prepare your child for each moment. Here’s an example of milestones that should be included in the schedule:
● First Six Months: During the first six months of a child’s life, their teeth are still developing. Caring for their teeth during this time can be administered through a healthy diet.
● First Baby Teeth: When their first teeth arrive, your child can be seen by a dentist to develop a schedule on their oral health development. They will be visiting the dentist once every six months.
● Permanent Teeth: When their permanent teeth develop often at age six, the child will have to have routine dental checkups and brush their teeth regularly.
Teaching Your Child Good Oral Health Habits
The rule of thumb is that as soon as your child is able to hold a toothbrush without assistance, they should be brushing and flossing on their own. It’s important to educate your child on how to care for their teeth and gums to instill these habits for the duration of their lives. Here’s what you can do:
● Use fun and educational shows or books: Fun and educational dental content can help children understand the importance of caring for their teeth and how to do it properly in a fun way.
● Create a dental schedule: The steps on how to brush and floss can be hard to remember for a child. Create a chart with all the steps and instructions or let them write down the steps on their own.
● Be an example: Telling your child to maintain healthy oral habits and not following them yourself sets a bad example. Make sure you’re brushing and flossing, even alongside them, to show them that you care for your teeth too!
Dentistry In Newmarket is a family-friendly dental clinic dedicated to maintaining and improving your child’s oral health. Our dental hygienists will teach your tot about the importance of caring for their teeth, teach them how to do it and assist you in any way to make the dental care process easier. Make sure to schedule your child’s dentist appointment with us after your child grows their first tooth!