YOUR CHILD’S FIRST VISIT
Your child’s first visit to the dentist is a crucial one. It establishes their perception of the dentist and oral health. At Dentistry in Newmarket, we work with your child to establish healthy habits and make them comfortable with their dentist.
Goals of the First Visit
During your child’s first dental appointment at our office, our goals are as follows:
- The dentist and the child meet and get properly acquainted.
- The dentist will monitor tooth and jaw development.
- The dentist will to evaluate the health of the child’s teeth and gums.
- The dentist will answer questions and advise the child and parents on how to implement a good oral care regimen.
What does an initial baby checkup look like?
- Dental staff will greet the child and parents.
- The infant/family health history will be reviewed (this may include questionnaires).
- The dentist will address parental questions and concerns.
- The dentist will provide advice on good oral care, how to prevent oral injury, fluoride intake, and sippy cup use.
- The infant’s teeth will be examined.
- Good brushing and flossing demonstrations will be provided.
- The state of the child’s oral health will be described in detail, and specific recommendations will be made. Recommendations usually relate to oral habits, appropriate toothpastes and toothbrushes for the child.